If you have weep holes drilled in the bottom course of brick veneer every two feet, what is the highest that dirt should be allowed to be graded? Currently the brick veneer is secured to the poured concrete foundation walls with mortar.
A) Should the dirt only be allowed to be graded up to the top of the foundation walls? In this case, the dirt would stop before covering the first mortar joint in the brick veneer, thus keeping the weep holes unobstructed, allowing maximum air flow and exit of water collecting behind the veneer from condensation, etc.
B) Or, is it OK to grade dirt above the first few rows of brick veneer, covering the weep holes in the first course? Would this obstruct air flow and water exit? This method would be used to fix the current lack of grade that occurs around the house. IF this were the method to use, would I need to installl some sort of french drain or at least use gravel to fill close to the home along that first course of brick veneer that is being covered?
Thanks for any input you can provide? I'm about to make some changes that may affect how well I am able to alleviate multiple water problems I am seeing around this 7 year old home that I bought last year. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.
Weep Holes in Brick
Weep Holes In Brick
Brick Weeping Hole - Minimum distance above ground l...
Weep Holes, Brick Veneer, and Ground Level Height ??...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs