If you have weep holes drilled in the bottom course of brick veneer every two feet, what is the highest that dirt should be allowed to be graded? Currently the brick veneer is secured to the poured concrete foundation walls with mortar.
A) Should the dirt only be allowed to be graded up to the top of the foundation walls? In this case, the dirt would stop before covering the first mortar joint in the brick veneer, thus keeping the weep holes unobstructed, allowing maximum air flow and exit of water collecting behind the veneer from condensation, etc.
B) Or, is it OK to grade dirt above the first few rows of brick veneer, covering the weep holes in the first course? Would this obstruct air flow and water exit? This method would be used to fix the current lack of grade that occurs around the house. IF this were the method to use, would I need to installl some sort of french drain or at least use gravel to fill close to the home along that first course of brick veneer that is being covered?
Thanks for any input you can provide? I'm about to make some changes that may affect how well I am able to alleviate multiple water problems I am seeing around this 7 year old home that I bought last year. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.
Weep Holes in Brick
Weep Holes In Brick
Brick Weeping Hole - Minimum distance above ground l...
Weep Holes, Brick Veneer, and Ground Level Height ??...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps