If you have weep holes drilled in the bottom course of brick veneer every two feet, what is the highest that dirt should be allowed to be graded? Currently the brick veneer is secured to the poured concrete foundation walls with mortar.
A) Should the dirt only be allowed to be graded up to the top of the foundation walls? In this case, the dirt would stop before covering the first mortar joint in the brick veneer, thus keeping the weep holes unobstructed, allowing maximum air flow and exit of water collecting behind the veneer from condensation, etc.
B) Or, is it OK to grade dirt above the first few rows of brick veneer, covering the weep holes in the first course? Would this obstruct air flow and water exit? This method would be used to fix the current lack of grade that occurs around the house. IF this were the method to use, would I need to installl some sort of french drain or at least use gravel to fill close to the home along that first course of brick veneer that is being covered?
Thanks for any input you can provide? I'm about to make some changes that may affect how well I am able to alleviate multiple water problems I am seeing around this 7 year old home that I bought last year. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.
Weep Holes in Brick
Weep Holes In Brick
Brick Weeping Hole - Minimum distance above ground l...
Weep Holes, Brick Veneer, and Ground Level Height ??...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?