If you have weep holes drilled in the bottom course of brick veneer every two feet, what is the highest that dirt should be allowed to be graded? Currently the brick veneer is secured to the poured concrete foundation walls with mortar.
A) Should the dirt only be allowed to be graded up to the top of the foundation walls? In this case, the dirt would stop before covering the first mortar joint in the brick veneer, thus keeping the weep holes unobstructed, allowing maximum air flow and exit of water collecting behind the veneer from condensation, etc.
B) Or, is it OK to grade dirt above the first few rows of brick veneer, covering the weep holes in the first course? Would this obstruct air flow and water exit? This method would be used to fix the current lack of grade that occurs around the house. IF this were the method to use, would I need to installl some sort of french drain or at least use gravel to fill close to the home along that first course of brick veneer that is being covered?
Thanks for any input you can provide? I'm about to make some changes that may affect how well I am able to alleviate multiple water problems I am seeing around this 7 year old home that I bought last year. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.
Weep Holes in Brick
Weep Holes In Brick
Brick Weeping Hole - Minimum distance above ground l...
Weep Holes, Brick Veneer, and Ground Level Height ??...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight