If you have weep holes drilled in the bottom course of brick veneer every two feet, what is the highest that dirt should be allowed to be graded? Currently the brick veneer is secured to the poured concrete foundation walls with mortar.
A) Should the dirt only be allowed to be graded up to the top of the foundation walls? In this case, the dirt would stop before covering the first mortar joint in the brick veneer, thus keeping the weep holes unobstructed, allowing maximum air flow and exit of water collecting behind the veneer from condensation, etc.
B) Or, is it OK to grade dirt above the first few rows of brick veneer, covering the weep holes in the first course? Would this obstruct air flow and water exit? This method would be used to fix the current lack of grade that occurs around the house. IF this were the method to use, would I need to installl some sort of french drain or at least use gravel to fill close to the home along that first course of brick veneer that is being covered?
Thanks for any input you can provide? I'm about to make some changes that may affect how well I am able to alleviate multiple water problems I am seeing around this 7 year old home that I bought last year. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.
Weep Holes in Brick
Weep Holes In Brick
Brick Weeping Hole - Minimum distance above ground l...
Weep Holes, Brick Veneer, and Ground Level Height ??...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!