My new home has a stone fireplace mantel that has a thin layer of carbon residue. The fireplace has gas logs. What is the best way to clean the residue and is there any way to prevent build up.
i have no suggestions on removing the carbon. if the gas logs are properly installed they should not produce any carbon that would build up on the mantel. any combustion gases should be vented thru the chimney. if they are ventless logs, i would find out what is the problem with them that they are causing a carbon buildup. if you are getting a carbon deposit, i would get a carbon dioxide (co20 tester to check for co2 in the house when the gas log is burning.