My house is 14 years old. I purchased it new and since the second year the cedar that wraps the entire house has been a problem. Constant bleeing through of knots and constant paint flaking/chipping. If you count the original stain, we have stained the exterior 4 times (4 different contractors/processes) in 14 years and right now it looks its worst. We have power washed, scrapped, used Zinzer stain control....and still every couple of years it looks horrible. (We have used Benjamin Moore stain all the time).
Now that it needs something done again, I am considering bricking the whole thing or maybe replacing all the siding....because this painting at over $4K a time is really adding up.
My neighbor replace 3/4 of his siding with brick this summer.....real brick, not veneer. The contractor who did it did not pour foundations, they installed steel L brackets into the existing foundation and rested the brick on top of that. It looks fantastic....but is that a standard method? I have never heard of that? Any problems to worry about?
Any advice to resolve this problem once and for all would be appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!