My house is 14 years old. I purchased it new and since the second year the cedar that wraps the entire house has been a problem. Constant bleeing through of knots and constant paint flaking/chipping. If you count the original stain, we have stained the exterior 4 times (4 different contractors/processes) in 14 years and right now it looks its worst. We have power washed, scrapped, used Zinzer stain control....and still every couple of years it looks horrible. (We have used Benjamin Moore stain all the time).
Now that it needs something done again, I am considering bricking the whole thing or maybe replacing all the siding....because this painting at over $4K a time is really adding up.
My neighbor replace 3/4 of his siding with brick this summer.....real brick, not veneer. The contractor who did it did not pour foundations, they installed steel L brackets into the existing foundation and rested the brick on top of that. It looks fantastic....but is that a standard method? I have never heard of that? Any problems to worry about?
Any advice to resolve this problem once and for all would be appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!