My house is 14 years old. I purchased it new and since the second year the cedar that wraps the entire house has been a problem. Constant bleeing through of knots and constant paint flaking/chipping. If you count the original stain, we have stained the exterior 4 times (4 different contractors/processes) in 14 years and right now it looks its worst. We have power washed, scrapped, used Zinzer stain control....and still every couple of years it looks horrible. (We have used Benjamin Moore stain all the time).
Now that it needs something done again, I am considering bricking the whole thing or maybe replacing all the siding....because this painting at over $4K a time is really adding up.
My neighbor replace 3/4 of his siding with brick this summer.....real brick, not veneer. The contractor who did it did not pour foundations, they installed steel L brackets into the existing foundation and rested the brick on top of that. It looks fantastic....but is that a standard method? I have never heard of that? Any problems to worry about?
Any advice to resolve this problem once and for all would be appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes