I am trying to find some information about how to construct a block chimney on my 2 story house.
I researched the web and could not really find any good graphics and instruction.
Basically what I will be using is 16"x22" chimney blocks and I will be using the clay inserts for the liner.
I need information from the ground up.
1. How thick and what size footer?
2. Will I need some type of cleanout tray and an acess door at the bottom of the chimney?
3. How do I tie my inside woodburner into the chimney? Is there a chimney block with a hole for the pipe? And how do you seal it?
4. What type of mortar should be used between the blocks?
5. Is there any mortar that goes between the clay liners? Or do they just sit on top of there?
6. How high above the roof does the chimney have to go?
7. What is the best way to to tie the chimney into the house?
I know this is a lot of questions, but I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I start. I have laid block and worked with concrete before.
If you can help and would rather e-mail me directly, you can do so at [email protected]
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries