Hi I have a home built in 1919, it is a two story and the fireplace is in the middle of the house. I bought it in Feb 05 and I have since found out the fireplace is unusable. Yes I did have it inspected by a home inspector who said it was fine to just keep it clean. I had a chimmney sweep clean it and that is when I found out it was not usable, that it was crumbling. I want to repair it but he says that he cannot put in a sleeve as it is on an angle and their will not be enough up draft for the fireplace maybe only 80%. I found an alternative and the company sent me back to the same chimney sweep and he says that the pour in place flu line by fire king will only give me 70% updraft and I have to install a fan. The fan alone he says will cost up to $1,800. I really want to use my fire place that is one of the reasons I bought the house.
Any suggestions on how to repair short of spending a small fortune.
Depending on where you live, if you have been in the house less than a year you may have insurance purchased by the seller to repair things that go wrong. When we bought our haouse that type of insurance replaced the roof, the water heater and the heater. You should check into it. I know it's reuired in California, not sure in other states.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!