Hi I have a home built in 1919, it is a two story and the fireplace is in the middle of the house. I bought it in Feb 05 and I have since found out the fireplace is unusable. Yes I did have it inspected by a home inspector who said it was fine to just keep it clean. I had a chimmney sweep clean it and that is when I found out it was not usable, that it was crumbling. I want to repair it but he says that he cannot put in a sleeve as it is on an angle and their will not be enough up draft for the fireplace maybe only 80%. I found an alternative and the company sent me back to the same chimney sweep and he says that the pour in place flu line by fire king will only give me 70% updraft and I have to install a fan. The fan alone he says will cost up to $1,800. I really want to use my fire place that is one of the reasons I bought the house.
Any suggestions on how to repair short of spending a small fortune.
Depending on where you live, if you have been in the house less than a year you may have insurance purchased by the seller to repair things that go wrong. When we bought our haouse that type of insurance replaced the roof, the water heater and the heater. You should check into it. I know it's reuired in California, not sure in other states.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!