Getting things square?
3' on the backer, 4' on the top board then 5' on the angle from 3' point to the 4' point makes the first board square.
For a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides: a2(3) + b2(4) = c2(5)
From there you can measure for the rest then at the end measure from corner to corner (they will be equal) and adjust.. you'll have the squarest picnic table on the block.
You can try this simple trick. Nail a jig or form to a flat surface like a piece of 1/2-3/4 inch plywood laying on the floor. The pieces can be 2x2 inch stock or really whatever you have lying around that have the length that you need. Using a framing square on the corners to lay it out. It will have to be the size of the top of the table so that the top will fit inside. Four pieces to form a rectangle in the dimensions of the top. Use the square to get the angles on the corners right. Lay the pieces for the top, bottom up, in the jig with the correct spacing. Then you can lay the cross pieces in place (again using the correct measurements to position them and the framing square to get the angle right). Use whatever fasteners that you choose (galvanized screws work well) and a waterproof glue on the cross pieces. Let the glue set to give the top some ridgity and then fasten the legs as the plan suggests. Good luck and enjoy the picnic.....MJH
Also, I recommend stainless, rather than galvanized screws if you want it to last without any rust.
One more thing: a simple way to get a square angle is to use a sheet of plywood as your guide. They are square when you buy them. Lay the pieces onto the plywood on the floor/ground.
You know I always use electroplated fasteners, but read in a book just a couple of days ago zinc coated is better.. I, like you rp, haven't found that myself, I find the zinc get's knocked off easier especially with gun nails... hmmm? Goes to show you got to take everything with a grain of salt huh?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!