I am trying to install crown molding on the top of a cabinent (2 outside angles and 2 straight cuts) but can't seem to get the cuts right. What is the secret?
For a standard inside or outside corner of 90 degrees the miter setting is 31.62 degrees and the bevel settin g is 33.86 degrees. These are marked on most current miter saws. If the angles vary from 90 degrees in your corners you must adjust to compensate. Crown mold is layed flat when cut and must also be held with the top or bottom edge against the fence of the miter box depending on the cut. Use some scrap pieces to practice with. Any more questions and I'll be here. Good luck.....MJH
Ooops... Mark doesn't quite mean that... that would be for a spring angle of 52/38 a lot of American crown now has a 45deg. spring angle. Really it'll depend on the size & manufacture of crown more succinctly... plus if you're a beginner & the crown is the smaller cab stock you'll more than likely want to cut at the angle rather than flat.
Here... the crown tutorial on my site will explain it for both of you... it's in the owners notebook section & linked from the front page as well.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers