I am trying to install crown molding on the top of a cabinent (2 outside angles and 2 straight cuts) but can't seem to get the cuts right. What is the secret?
For a standard inside or outside corner of 90 degrees the miter setting is 31.62 degrees and the bevel settin g is 33.86 degrees. These are marked on most current miter saws. If the angles vary from 90 degrees in your corners you must adjust to compensate. Crown mold is layed flat when cut and must also be held with the top or bottom edge against the fence of the miter box depending on the cut. Use some scrap pieces to practice with. Any more questions and I'll be here. Good luck.....MJH
Ooops... Mark doesn't quite mean that... that would be for a spring angle of 52/38 a lot of American crown now has a 45deg. spring angle. Really it'll depend on the size & manufacture of crown more succinctly... plus if you're a beginner & the crown is the smaller cab stock you'll more than likely want to cut at the angle rather than flat.
Here... the crown tutorial on my site will explain it for both of you... it's in the owners notebook section & linked from the front page as well.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight