Time to Refinance?
Everybody's situation is different. Will you keep the home until it's paid off or will you sell it in a couple of years?
Have you looked at an amortization program to make comparisons? I have questionss about saving $500 per month with a one percent reduction in interest -- how much is your mortgage, 2 million $$ ??
Perhaps a chunk of that saving is no longer paying Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI)?? If so, that's a plus.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited December 10, 2002).]
Most people never pay a 30-year loan to the end, whether it's in 30 years or 24.
IMO, the information presented here is not enough for anyone to say absoloutely for certain whether it's a good idea to do this refinance.
I'm still questioning that 500 per month improvement with a 1% drop in rate. It appears to me that at current rates, you improve by 500 per month on a loan of around 900K$. And I suspect that the poster isn't refinancing a million-plus dollar house. (could be wrong, though)
If I'm right, where's the difference coming from? a reduction or removal of PMI? a misleading number that leaves out taxes and insurance?
There's just not enough info here to give conclusive advice.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 06, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees