Time to Refinance?
Everybody's situation is different. Will you keep the home until it's paid off or will you sell it in a couple of years?
Have you looked at an amortization program to make comparisons? I have questionss about saving $500 per month with a one percent reduction in interest -- how much is your mortgage, 2 million $$ ??
Perhaps a chunk of that saving is no longer paying Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI)?? If so, that's a plus.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited December 10, 2002).]
Most people never pay a 30-year loan to the end, whether it's in 30 years or 24.
IMO, the information presented here is not enough for anyone to say absoloutely for certain whether it's a good idea to do this refinance.
I'm still questioning that 500 per month improvement with a 1% drop in rate. It appears to me that at current rates, you improve by 500 per month on a loan of around 900K$. And I suspect that the poster isn't refinancing a million-plus dollar house. (could be wrong, though)
If I'm right, where's the difference coming from? a reduction or removal of PMI? a misleading number that leaves out taxes and insurance?
There's just not enough info here to give conclusive advice.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 06, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them