Should save all receipts for home renovation/repair?
This is my first house. Years ago, I was told to save all receipts of repairs and renovations as these can get deducted from my taxes when I sell the house, or something like that. Someone else just told me it does me no good to save these receipts as this doesn't apply to first-time homeowners. Can someone enlighten me????? Signed: Ignorant in Iowa
it won't really do you any good to save your receipts for any kind of deduction at the end. The only reason you would ever need them is if you ran into a capital gains situation. if you have lived somewhere for under 2 years and have realized a significant profit, the government is going to want a cut (imagine that) but if you prove you have put alot of money they will cut you some slack. Saving receipts is always a good idea though just incase the person you are selling your house to would like to see them. Laws/guidelines vary state to state on these types of things, if you would like a realy absolute answer check with your local city hall/township office or a local realtor and see what they say. Good luck
Simple ways to inspect your roof and avoid major rep...
Loose Neutral in Kristy Box Causing Electronic Failu...
Appliance Repair Safety
Victorian Home Renovation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes