Should save all receipts for home renovation/repair?
This is my first house. Years ago, I was told to save all receipts of repairs and renovations as these can get deducted from my taxes when I sell the house, or something like that. Someone else just told me it does me no good to save these receipts as this doesn't apply to first-time homeowners. Can someone enlighten me????? Signed: Ignorant in Iowa
it won't really do you any good to save your receipts for any kind of deduction at the end. The only reason you would ever need them is if you ran into a capital gains situation. if you have lived somewhere for under 2 years and have realized a significant profit, the government is going to want a cut (imagine that) but if you prove you have put alot of money they will cut you some slack. Saving receipts is always a good idea though just incase the person you are selling your house to would like to see them. Laws/guidelines vary state to state on these types of things, if you would like a realy absolute answer check with your local city hall/township office or a local realtor and see what they say. Good luck
Simple ways to inspect your roof and avoid major rep...
Loose Neutral in Kristy Box Causing Electronic Failu...
Appliance Repair Safety
Victorian Home Renovation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!