Should save all receipts for home renovation/repair?
This is my first house. Years ago, I was told to save all receipts of repairs and renovations as these can get deducted from my taxes when I sell the house, or something like that. Someone else just told me it does me no good to save these receipts as this doesn't apply to first-time homeowners. Can someone enlighten me????? Signed: Ignorant in Iowa
it won't really do you any good to save your receipts for any kind of deduction at the end. The only reason you would ever need them is if you ran into a capital gains situation. if you have lived somewhere for under 2 years and have realized a significant profit, the government is going to want a cut (imagine that) but if you prove you have put alot of money they will cut you some slack. Saving receipts is always a good idea though just incase the person you are selling your house to would like to see them. Laws/guidelines vary state to state on these types of things, if you would like a realy absolute answer check with your local city hall/township office or a local realtor and see what they say. Good luck
Simple ways to inspect your roof and avoid major rep...
Loose Neutral in Kristy Box Causing Electronic Failu...
Appliance Repair Safety
Victorian Home Renovation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!