What is the best way to paint panelling? We have the old dark maghogany color panelling on one wall in our living room and we just want to know if for know we can just paint it and if so what kind of paint to use.
I know what you mean, and I definitely painted my old "70's" looking walls. I started with a primer, to prep the panel to take paint and to ensure the paint covers the dark color. Then after 2 coats, I painted with acrylic. It lasted for 4 years, then I moved out. It looked great.
I also recommend pigmented shellac as the primer. Depending on your paneling you may get a lot of the moisture pulled out of the paint resulting in cracking. This happened to us on some old paneling -- we then had to spackle it and install textured wallpaper. The pigmented shellac is rather stinky, but really seals it well. You can paint over it with latex -- you may even be able to have the pigmented shellac tinted to be close to the ultimate color you want to paint it. Should you decide to do the textured wallcovering or a liner paper do a search on paneling in all categories, and you'll see some other suggestions I've made to others.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!