What is the best way to paint panelling? We have the old dark maghogany color panelling on one wall in our living room and we just want to know if for know we can just paint it and if so what kind of paint to use.
I know what you mean, and I definitely painted my old "70's" looking walls. I started with a primer, to prep the panel to take paint and to ensure the paint covers the dark color. Then after 2 coats, I painted with acrylic. It lasted for 4 years, then I moved out. It looked great.
I also recommend pigmented shellac as the primer. Depending on your paneling you may get a lot of the moisture pulled out of the paint resulting in cracking. This happened to us on some old paneling -- we then had to spackle it and install textured wallpaper. The pigmented shellac is rather stinky, but really seals it well. You can paint over it with latex -- you may even be able to have the pigmented shellac tinted to be close to the ultimate color you want to paint it. Should you decide to do the textured wallcovering or a liner paper do a search on paneling in all categories, and you'll see some other suggestions I've made to others.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight