What is the best way to paint panelling? We have the old dark maghogany color panelling on one wall in our living room and we just want to know if for know we can just paint it and if so what kind of paint to use.
I know what you mean, and I definitely painted my old "70's" looking walls. I started with a primer, to prep the panel to take paint and to ensure the paint covers the dark color. Then after 2 coats, I painted with acrylic. It lasted for 4 years, then I moved out. It looked great.
I also recommend pigmented shellac as the primer. Depending on your paneling you may get a lot of the moisture pulled out of the paint resulting in cracking. This happened to us on some old paneling -- we then had to spackle it and install textured wallpaper. The pigmented shellac is rather stinky, but really seals it well. You can paint over it with latex -- you may even be able to have the pigmented shellac tinted to be close to the ultimate color you want to paint it. Should you decide to do the textured wallcovering or a liner paper do a search on paneling in all categories, and you'll see some other suggestions I've made to others.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects