OK, call me stupid...I have moved into a large bi-level home. The lower level consists of a large rec room, two bedrooms, and a combination half-bath and laundry room. On the outside walls inside every room in the lower level, there is 3 feet of carpeting up the wall from floor level. I don't know why someone did this, if it was for cosmetic purposes or decorative purposes. I have not yet tried to take down the carpeting, but do plan to replace it. There is a five-inch shelving at the top of the wall carpeting, and by that I mean that the bottom carpeted portions of the walls come out away from the walls about five inches. Any ideas?
One possibility is that the carpet covers the foundation. The shelf is the top of the cinderblock or concrete. The uninsulated foundation was very cold and ugly so the carpet was installed. I would check by removing a little carpet in laundry room where nobody would care.
Thanks for replying! I'll bet you're right. As it is, the lower level stays very cold, even when the heat is on @ 70 degrees (unfortunately, the thermostat is on the upper level). If this IS the case, I'll probably have to re-carpet the walls, too. I was hoping to be able to remove the carpeting from the walls and just paint, but I'm afraid that won't be possible. Thanks for telling me one possibility as to why they did this. I will pull up a piece from the laundry room.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love