OK, call me stupid...I have moved into a large bi-level home. The lower level consists of a large rec room, two bedrooms, and a combination half-bath and laundry room. On the outside walls inside every room in the lower level, there is 3 feet of carpeting up the wall from floor level. I don't know why someone did this, if it was for cosmetic purposes or decorative purposes. I have not yet tried to take down the carpeting, but do plan to replace it. There is a five-inch shelving at the top of the wall carpeting, and by that I mean that the bottom carpeted portions of the walls come out away from the walls about five inches. Any ideas?
One possibility is that the carpet covers the foundation. The shelf is the top of the cinderblock or concrete. The uninsulated foundation was very cold and ugly so the carpet was installed. I would check by removing a little carpet in laundry room where nobody would care.
Thanks for replying! I'll bet you're right. As it is, the lower level stays very cold, even when the heat is on @ 70 degrees (unfortunately, the thermostat is on the upper level). If this IS the case, I'll probably have to re-carpet the walls, too. I was hoping to be able to remove the carpeting from the walls and just paint, but I'm afraid that won't be possible. Thanks for telling me one possibility as to why they did this. I will pull up a piece from the laundry room.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight