OK, call me stupid...I have moved into a large bi-level home. The lower level consists of a large rec room, two bedrooms, and a combination half-bath and laundry room. On the outside walls inside every room in the lower level, there is 3 feet of carpeting up the wall from floor level. I don't know why someone did this, if it was for cosmetic purposes or decorative purposes. I have not yet tried to take down the carpeting, but do plan to replace it. There is a five-inch shelving at the top of the wall carpeting, and by that I mean that the bottom carpeted portions of the walls come out away from the walls about five inches. Any ideas?
One possibility is that the carpet covers the foundation. The shelf is the top of the cinderblock or concrete. The uninsulated foundation was very cold and ugly so the carpet was installed. I would check by removing a little carpet in laundry room where nobody would care.
Thanks for replying! I'll bet you're right. As it is, the lower level stays very cold, even when the heat is on @ 70 degrees (unfortunately, the thermostat is on the upper level). If this IS the case, I'll probably have to re-carpet the walls, too. I was hoping to be able to remove the carpeting from the walls and just paint, but I'm afraid that won't be possible. Thanks for telling me one possibility as to why they did this. I will pull up a piece from the laundry room.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers