OK, call me stupid...I have moved into a large bi-level home. The lower level consists of a large rec room, two bedrooms, and a combination half-bath and laundry room. On the outside walls inside every room in the lower level, there is 3 feet of carpeting up the wall from floor level. I don't know why someone did this, if it was for cosmetic purposes or decorative purposes. I have not yet tried to take down the carpeting, but do plan to replace it. There is a five-inch shelving at the top of the wall carpeting, and by that I mean that the bottom carpeted portions of the walls come out away from the walls about five inches. Any ideas?
One possibility is that the carpet covers the foundation. The shelf is the top of the cinderblock or concrete. The uninsulated foundation was very cold and ugly so the carpet was installed. I would check by removing a little carpet in laundry room where nobody would care.
Thanks for replying! I'll bet you're right. As it is, the lower level stays very cold, even when the heat is on @ 70 degrees (unfortunately, the thermostat is on the upper level). If this IS the case, I'll probably have to re-carpet the walls, too. I was hoping to be able to remove the carpeting from the walls and just paint, but I'm afraid that won't be possible. Thanks for telling me one possibility as to why they did this. I will pull up a piece from the laundry room.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes