Need help with wheelchair accessible bathroom
I am a spinal cord injured individual and confined to a wheelchair. I currently live in NYC, but am building a home in Hobe Sound, FL. I have special requirements with regards to bathroom space (roll-in shower, wheelchair accesible vanity and sink, and accessible toilet area). I am looking for any and all help to properly design a bathroom that will help meet my needs. Would you be interested in helping someone like myself to build a wheelchair accessible home? Even if you are not interested in the entire home project, I would greatly appreciate any help and input on the bathroom design. This is extremely important to my needs in life, and it would be reassuring to have someone of your knowledge to guide us through. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, for this project needs to get started. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Sincerely, Walter Rynasko
Real quick answer - BEFORE you get too far, you might want to contact the ADA for advice on the ENTIRE house; not just the bathroom. Your situation is beyond the bathroom as well.
Even if you're OK w/the rest of the house, now is the time to 'check' yourself. Later, well ..., it could be too late.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING