I am stumped in how to finish a wainscoting project. I am installing wainscoting on the basement stairs. The stairs to the basement make a 90 degree turn at a landing and continue down. In one corner of the stair landing, I have a big gap where the chair rails for the lower stairs do not align with the chair rail from the upper stairs. Any suggestions on how to finish this?
Align can have several meanings here so I am not sure which way you mean,but I'll take a shot at it anyway.If the wainscoat is not meeting in the corner due to different heights then you didn't run a marker line prior to starting.If you're speaking about the ends of the wood butting against each other in the corner,then you need to read up on cutting angles for inside corners.If it's a different problem,please post.
It is the latter, a corner where they don't butt up correctly. I took over from the handyman who started, and he admired the problem for a long time before giving up. I don't know how you call a corner, but this is the one where if the chair rail extended out, it would be in the air, vs. the other corner of the landing, where the two walls meet to form the 90 degree angle.
Sounds like an outside corner.Both pieces of wainscoat come together by cutting 45 degree angles at the corner.Using a few pieces of scrap as a sample should give you an idea how to do it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!