I am stumped in how to finish a wainscoting project. I am installing wainscoting on the basement stairs. The stairs to the basement make a 90 degree turn at a landing and continue down. In one corner of the stair landing, I have a big gap where the chair rails for the lower stairs do not align with the chair rail from the upper stairs. Any suggestions on how to finish this?
Align can have several meanings here so I am not sure which way you mean,but I'll take a shot at it anyway.If the wainscoat is not meeting in the corner due to different heights then you didn't run a marker line prior to starting.If you're speaking about the ends of the wood butting against each other in the corner,then you need to read up on cutting angles for inside corners.If it's a different problem,please post.
It is the latter, a corner where they don't butt up correctly. I took over from the handyman who started, and he admired the problem for a long time before giving up. I don't know how you call a corner, but this is the one where if the chair rail extended out, it would be in the air, vs. the other corner of the landing, where the two walls meet to form the 90 degree angle.
Sounds like an outside corner.Both pieces of wainscoat come together by cutting 45 degree angles at the corner.Using a few pieces of scrap as a sample should give you an idea how to do it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love