I am looking for suggestions for creating a full wall length shelf over a window. The window is actually two windows placed side by side and the length of the wall is 12 feet. I would like it to store puppets and other items for my child. The problem is how to mount the supports since the bottom of the shelf will come right up to the top of the windows. I'm looking for suggestions or plans from people who have created something similar.
fredp: Instead of putting the supporting brackets below the shelf, you could put the brackets above and "hang" the shelf to the brackets. Just remember to drill pilot holes through the shelf and into the brackets and then use screws to fasten the shelf to the brackets. Depending on the materials you use, in order to keep the theme in the room, the number and type of brackets required may vary, as some materials will deflect more than others when weight is applied.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!