My $.02: Match as you want to match but realize this - The darker the color, the 'smaller' the room will seem. A dark ceiling will accent the low ceiling. A light ceiling will take the eye 'away' from it. So, if you can, go with the lightest possible color for walls AND ceilings when painting small rooms.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
JayJ is right in what he says. Let me add my two cents worth tho give you a better understanding. First the reason a dark ceiling and dark walls make the room seem smaller is a process called light transference. Light itself is measures by "lumens". Believe it or not, light travels and rebounds much like those pink rubber balls I played with as a kid. Rule of thumb is the lighter the walls and ceiling, the more light the room will seem to have. The darker the room is the less reflected light you will see and therefore the room will look smaller. It all depends on the effect you wish to acheive. I had this problem on one of my rehabs. The lady wanted dark colors for a soft look. We solved her problem by installing wall mirrors on one wall. This can be done very tastefully and the light reflecting off the mirrors made the room seem larger than it really was. But in any case, it's all academic. It's a matter of the finished look one wishes to acheive. Play with ideas and try them out on paper first.
Good Luck, Len
Personally, I would match the slant to the ceiling. The more light reflective surface one utilizes, the brighter the room will be.
Just a note: I had one customer whose son painted his entire bedroom flat black and then they both wondered why the kid's eyes got fatigued trying to read. LOL
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs