Has anyone ever tiled kitchen countertops with old plates/dishes? I am considering doing this and would like to know the pitfalls. I have tiled a bit with more usual materials, so I know the basics! any advice would be appreciated.
I had a really bad burn on a formica counter top so my husband cut it out and placed a ceramic tile trivet in its place. It's really cool looking and serves as a built-in hot spot. To look really good, it needs to be level with the counter top.
I have worked with pottery shards a little bit. The only caution I would make is that not all the pieces will be the same thickness. You'll have to be very careful how you place them. I wonder if rolling with a rolling pin (or similar) would help after you've place them in the mortar? Good luck!
Plates and dishes are made of one type of ceramic, whereas tile is made of another. Ceramic tile is stronger, thicker, and the glaze is designed to be more scratch resistent. Because plates and dishes are generally more fragile, I do not think that plates and dishes would be a good countertop surface. Moreover, it would be next to impossible to get them to be level: much worse than ceramic tile.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight