Has anyone ever tiled kitchen countertops with old plates/dishes? I am considering doing this and would like to know the pitfalls. I have tiled a bit with more usual materials, so I know the basics! any advice would be appreciated.
I had a really bad burn on a formica counter top so my husband cut it out and placed a ceramic tile trivet in its place. It's really cool looking and serves as a built-in hot spot. To look really good, it needs to be level with the counter top.
I have worked with pottery shards a little bit. The only caution I would make is that not all the pieces will be the same thickness. You'll have to be very careful how you place them. I wonder if rolling with a rolling pin (or similar) would help after you've place them in the mortar? Good luck!
Plates and dishes are made of one type of ceramic, whereas tile is made of another. Ceramic tile is stronger, thicker, and the glaze is designed to be more scratch resistent. Because plates and dishes are generally more fragile, I do not think that plates and dishes would be a good countertop surface. Moreover, it would be next to impossible to get them to be level: much worse than ceramic tile.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers