Has anyone ever tiled kitchen countertops with old plates/dishes? I am considering doing this and would like to know the pitfalls. I have tiled a bit with more usual materials, so I know the basics! any advice would be appreciated.
I had a really bad burn on a formica counter top so my husband cut it out and placed a ceramic tile trivet in its place. It's really cool looking and serves as a built-in hot spot. To look really good, it needs to be level with the counter top.
I have worked with pottery shards a little bit. The only caution I would make is that not all the pieces will be the same thickness. You'll have to be very careful how you place them. I wonder if rolling with a rolling pin (or similar) would help after you've place them in the mortar? Good luck!
Plates and dishes are made of one type of ceramic, whereas tile is made of another. Ceramic tile is stronger, thicker, and the glaze is designed to be more scratch resistent. Because plates and dishes are generally more fragile, I do not think that plates and dishes would be a good countertop surface. Moreover, it would be next to impossible to get them to be level: much worse than ceramic tile.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!