but if i was to add trim to my living and kitchen-because it is a continuous large room and open (there is no doorway or frame between the two to seperate the room) i would do that trim in the same color/stain. But if I was to do trim in my bedroom and my kitchen-they are seperate entities and treated like such. Unless you have the same decor thruout your whole house, which is highly unlikely so I would stick with the color or stain that matches the decor in that particualr room.
But like the previous person said-if you plan on selling it keep the color uniform thruout and a very basic color...whites/offwhites/stains. Since many people have different furniture and colors, you do not know what the next owner will have. But if you plan on living there forever or a long time then I would go with a basic color that you really like-but do not go with a "fad" color-like a yellow car , becuase if you change your decor the next season then it will not go and you will have to go thru all that work again to repaint/restain to the color of your new decor.
One thing to consider, if you have nice wood trim made of oak, maple or quality pine, best not to paint it, but to stain it instead. Nothing irks me more than looking at a house that had nice hardwood trim and seeing it covered in a coat of paint. On the other hand if it is cheap trim, paint it.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight