but if i was to add trim to my living and kitchen-because it is a continuous large room and open (there is no doorway or frame between the two to seperate the room) i would do that trim in the same color/stain. But if I was to do trim in my bedroom and my kitchen-they are seperate entities and treated like such. Unless you have the same decor thruout your whole house, which is highly unlikely so I would stick with the color or stain that matches the decor in that particualr room.
But like the previous person said-if you plan on selling it keep the color uniform thruout and a very basic color...whites/offwhites/stains. Since many people have different furniture and colors, you do not know what the next owner will have. But if you plan on living there forever or a long time then I would go with a basic color that you really like-but do not go with a "fad" color-like a yellow car , becuase if you change your decor the next season then it will not go and you will have to go thru all that work again to repaint/restain to the color of your new decor.
One thing to consider, if you have nice wood trim made of oak, maple or quality pine, best not to paint it, but to stain it instead. Nothing irks me more than looking at a house that had nice hardwood trim and seeing it covered in a coat of paint. On the other hand if it is cheap trim, paint it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!