I am new to home improvement as I just purchased my first home. I would like to install a wood mantle above my fireplace. The fireplace is all brick and I wanted to know if this was something I could do and how I would best go about attaching the mantle to the brick. I saw some posts about using liquid nails, but I am not sure if that is sturdy enough. Thanks.
It is not enough if you are only doing a mantle shelf but if you are talking surrond withg legs to support weight, the LN could hold it in place.
If you are installing a mantle shelf, go to the lumber yard and buy yourself 6 or 7 tapcons. Look on the box that you are taking them from and it will tell you what size hole you are going to need to drill with your concrete bit. Measure the thickness of the top pc. on your mantle. Figure out how high you want your mantle, and draw a level line.(if you want your mantle 50" high and your top pc. measures 1", then draw a level line 49" high. Attach a nailer (2X2 board) on your line using your tapcons about every 10" apart. Drill into the mortar joints. Put a bead of liquid nail on the top of your nailer. Set the fireplace mantle on the nailer. Secure it in place with several finish nails or predrill holes so you can use screws and plugs. You just need to hold it in place until the liquid nail dries .
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers