I am new to home improvement as I just purchased my first home. I would like to install a wood mantle above my fireplace. The fireplace is all brick and I wanted to know if this was something I could do and how I would best go about attaching the mantle to the brick. I saw some posts about using liquid nails, but I am not sure if that is sturdy enough. Thanks.
It is not enough if you are only doing a mantle shelf but if you are talking surrond withg legs to support weight, the LN could hold it in place.
If you are installing a mantle shelf, go to the lumber yard and buy yourself 6 or 7 tapcons. Look on the box that you are taking them from and it will tell you what size hole you are going to need to drill with your concrete bit. Measure the thickness of the top pc. on your mantle. Figure out how high you want your mantle, and draw a level line.(if you want your mantle 50" high and your top pc. measures 1", then draw a level line 49" high. Attach a nailer (2X2 board) on your line using your tapcons about every 10" apart. Drill into the mortar joints. Put a bead of liquid nail on the top of your nailer. Set the fireplace mantle on the nailer. Secure it in place with several finish nails or predrill holes so you can use screws and plugs. You just need to hold it in place until the liquid nail dries .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!