I am new to home improvement as I just purchased my first home. I would like to install a wood mantle above my fireplace. The fireplace is all brick and I wanted to know if this was something I could do and how I would best go about attaching the mantle to the brick. I saw some posts about using liquid nails, but I am not sure if that is sturdy enough. Thanks.
It is not enough if you are only doing a mantle shelf but if you are talking surrond withg legs to support weight, the LN could hold it in place.
If you are installing a mantle shelf, go to the lumber yard and buy yourself 6 or 7 tapcons. Look on the box that you are taking them from and it will tell you what size hole you are going to need to drill with your concrete bit. Measure the thickness of the top pc. on your mantle. Figure out how high you want your mantle, and draw a level line.(if you want your mantle 50" high and your top pc. measures 1", then draw a level line 49" high. Attach a nailer (2X2 board) on your line using your tapcons about every 10" apart. Drill into the mortar joints. Put a bead of liquid nail on the top of your nailer. Set the fireplace mantle on the nailer. Secure it in place with several finish nails or predrill holes so you can use screws and plugs. You just need to hold it in place until the liquid nail dries .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love