Painted cabinets and re-sale value
What are the cabinets themselves like? If they're real cheesy, I don't think it would matter much if you painted them as a prospective buyer would probably spot them as cheesy right off--so you might as well paint them and enjoy them while you're living there! There are cabinet "refacing" services that could also make them more attractive for less money and disruption than a total replacement.
If they're nice, it might be worth the extra effort to strip, sand and stain properly.
I've also noticed that there's kind of a "loosey-goosey" connection between improvements and resale value. It's not as clear-cut as people think...that a certain remodel will "pay back" a certain percentage. Sometimes, it seems that buyers 'expect' that certain remodeling will have been done in order to set foot in the door. But improvements certainly pay off in the enjoyment you experience in day-to-day living over the years you're there...
In my particular case, kitchen cabinets are 20+ years old and they were nothing great when they were put in. I think the only real option (for me) is total replacement. Of course, in 20 years you find that plenty of other work needs to be updated too (for example, countertops and flooring) and it becomes a rather major project. But I feel it needs to be done. Plus, will make it lots more enjoyable!
Good luck, and if it were me, I'd probably get rid of the orange too!
wood floors - multiple species
Is it bad to do two brands/types of windows in home?...
removing paint from kitchen cabinets
Tracy kitchen sink and cabinets
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING