Painted cabinets and re-sale value
What are the cabinets themselves like? If they're real cheesy, I don't think it would matter much if you painted them as a prospective buyer would probably spot them as cheesy right off--so you might as well paint them and enjoy them while you're living there! There are cabinet "refacing" services that could also make them more attractive for less money and disruption than a total replacement.
If they're nice, it might be worth the extra effort to strip, sand and stain properly.
I've also noticed that there's kind of a "loosey-goosey" connection between improvements and resale value. It's not as clear-cut as people think...that a certain remodel will "pay back" a certain percentage. Sometimes, it seems that buyers 'expect' that certain remodeling will have been done in order to set foot in the door. But improvements certainly pay off in the enjoyment you experience in day-to-day living over the years you're there...
In my particular case, kitchen cabinets are 20+ years old and they were nothing great when they were put in. I think the only real option (for me) is total replacement. Of course, in 20 years you find that plenty of other work needs to be updated too (for example, countertops and flooring) and it becomes a rather major project. But I feel it needs to be done. Plus, will make it lots more enjoyable!
Good luck, and if it were me, I'd probably get rid of the orange too!
wood floors - multiple species
Is it bad to do two brands/types of windows in home?...
Tracy kitchen sink and cabinets
removing paint from kitchen cabinets
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda