I was wondering if anyone out in cyberspace might be able to help me or point me in the direction of a good resource/instruction on heavy duty bracketless/floating shelving.
I would like to build and install some pretty heavy duty bracketless shelves into a shop wall. Surprisingly, I have been able to find very little information on this.
I'm not too worried about them being difficult to remove afterward. They wouldn't usually hold much weight, but if, for instance, a child decided to climb up them, I would want them to hold.
I was thinking of using 2x12 structural pine and painting it or stacking 2 12" pieces of 3/4" oak veneer plywood and staining it.
So far, (besides pre-fab) I have only been able to find a couple of different plans -- one in which the shelves are made from a cut hollow door (too flimsy for my purposes) and another in which rebar is hammered into 3/8" holes in the studs and in the backs of the shelves. I would be willing to try this, but I was wondering if there might be another way.
So, any ideas? I've never done this before, so if my explanation or problem needs clarification, please let me know. Thanks for any advice, info, etc.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!