I was wondering if anyone out in cyberspace might be able to help me or point me in the direction of a good resource/instruction on heavy duty bracketless/floating shelving.
I would like to build and install some pretty heavy duty bracketless shelves into a shop wall. Surprisingly, I have been able to find very little information on this.
I'm not too worried about them being difficult to remove afterward. They wouldn't usually hold much weight, but if, for instance, a child decided to climb up them, I would want them to hold.
I was thinking of using 2x12 structural pine and painting it or stacking 2 12" pieces of 3/4" oak veneer plywood and staining it.
So far, (besides pre-fab) I have only been able to find a couple of different plans -- one in which the shelves are made from a cut hollow door (too flimsy for my purposes) and another in which rebar is hammered into 3/8" holes in the studs and in the backs of the shelves. I would be willing to try this, but I was wondering if there might be another way.
So, any ideas? I've never done this before, so if my explanation or problem needs clarification, please let me know. Thanks for any advice, info, etc.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY