I was wondering if anyone out in cyberspace might be able to help me or point me in the direction of a good resource/instruction on heavy duty bracketless/floating shelving.
I would like to build and install some pretty heavy duty bracketless shelves into a shop wall. Surprisingly, I have been able to find very little information on this.
I'm not too worried about them being difficult to remove afterward. They wouldn't usually hold much weight, but if, for instance, a child decided to climb up them, I would want them to hold.
I was thinking of using 2x12 structural pine and painting it or stacking 2 12" pieces of 3/4" oak veneer plywood and staining it.
So far, (besides pre-fab) I have only been able to find a couple of different plans -- one in which the shelves are made from a cut hollow door (too flimsy for my purposes) and another in which rebar is hammered into 3/8" holes in the studs and in the backs of the shelves. I would be willing to try this, but I was wondering if there might be another way.
So, any ideas? I've never done this before, so if my explanation or problem needs clarification, please let me know. Thanks for any advice, info, etc.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY