I was wondering if anyone out in cyberspace might be able to help me or point me in the direction of a good resource/instruction on heavy duty bracketless/floating shelving.
I would like to build and install some pretty heavy duty bracketless shelves into a shop wall. Surprisingly, I have been able to find very little information on this.
I'm not too worried about them being difficult to remove afterward. They wouldn't usually hold much weight, but if, for instance, a child decided to climb up them, I would want them to hold.
I was thinking of using 2x12 structural pine and painting it or stacking 2 12" pieces of 3/4" oak veneer plywood and staining it.
So far, (besides pre-fab) I have only been able to find a couple of different plans -- one in which the shelves are made from a cut hollow door (too flimsy for my purposes) and another in which rebar is hammered into 3/8" holes in the studs and in the backs of the shelves. I would be willing to try this, but I was wondering if there might be another way.
So, any ideas? I've never done this before, so if my explanation or problem needs clarification, please let me know. Thanks for any advice, info, etc.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes