I was wondering if anyone out in cyberspace might be able to help me or point me in the direction of a good resource/instruction on heavy duty bracketless/floating shelving.
I would like to build and install some pretty heavy duty bracketless shelves into a shop wall. Surprisingly, I have been able to find very little information on this.
I'm not too worried about them being difficult to remove afterward. They wouldn't usually hold much weight, but if, for instance, a child decided to climb up them, I would want them to hold.
I was thinking of using 2x12 structural pine and painting it or stacking 2 12" pieces of 3/4" oak veneer plywood and staining it.
So far, (besides pre-fab) I have only been able to find a couple of different plans -- one in which the shelves are made from a cut hollow door (too flimsy for my purposes) and another in which rebar is hammered into 3/8" holes in the studs and in the backs of the shelves. I would be willing to try this, but I was wondering if there might be another way.
So, any ideas? I've never done this before, so if my explanation or problem needs clarification, please let me know. Thanks for any advice, info, etc.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!