I have just removed an 'out-of-ground' pool and the deck that had been built around it. The pool was dug about 2.5 feet into the ground and the hole is about 15 feet in diameter. The house is brick row house with buildings directly attached on either side, although, there is an alley one house down I can bring material through that is about 3 feet wide, as well as the first floor of the house (I want to avoid that if possible.
I just bought the house and the pool was down right nasty and an unnecessary extra maintenance headache.
I am trying to figure out what to do! What a headache!
Please lend any ideas or suggestions. I have thought of a few:
-Build a deck over it and leave the hole
...maybe use some of the debris as fill?
(is that possible or even just safe?)
...dig a post for the deckbefore I fill it?
-Create a some-what sunken patio area
-Get approval for an addition and use the dug out area as a foundation?
I do have some concerns about water/drainage as well as budget. Any help is sorely needed and greatly appreciated!
If you don't have any plans for a sunken patio of some sort that will incorporate adequate drainage so you're not creating a hole in which water will accumulate and just sit (thereby likely becoming a breeding place for skeeters) I'd suggest filling it with good gravel and grading the surface so it drains away from the house. Then you can build on top of it.
I can't believe this. We just purchased a home and it had the same kind of pool you are talking about. We had it removed and oh what a mess. There is a 2 1/2 foot hole in an oval shape in the back of the yard. I was thinking about placing cinder blocks like a retaining wall all around and then just putting river rocks in the bottem. We are on such a tight budget that I can't think of anything else. What did you do?
Yanking leaky roof vent in winter. can it be done?
Looking for flush mount low-voltage deck lighting
Garage Rooftop Deck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes