I have just removed an 'out-of-ground' pool and the deck that had been built around it. The pool was dug about 2.5 feet into the ground and the hole is about 15 feet in diameter. The house is brick row house with buildings directly attached on either side, although, there is an alley one house down I can bring material through that is about 3 feet wide, as well as the first floor of the house (I want to avoid that if possible.
I just bought the house and the pool was down right nasty and an unnecessary extra maintenance headache.
I am trying to figure out what to do! What a headache!
Please lend any ideas or suggestions. I have thought of a few:
-Build a deck over it and leave the hole
...maybe use some of the debris as fill?
(is that possible or even just safe?)
...dig a post for the deckbefore I fill it?
-Create a some-what sunken patio area
-Get approval for an addition and use the dug out area as a foundation?
I do have some concerns about water/drainage as well as budget. Any help is sorely needed and greatly appreciated!
If you don't have any plans for a sunken patio of some sort that will incorporate adequate drainage so you're not creating a hole in which water will accumulate and just sit (thereby likely becoming a breeding place for skeeters) I'd suggest filling it with good gravel and grading the surface so it drains away from the house. Then you can build on top of it.
I can't believe this. We just purchased a home and it had the same kind of pool you are talking about. We had it removed and oh what a mess. There is a 2 1/2 foot hole in an oval shape in the back of the yard. I was thinking about placing cinder blocks like a retaining wall all around and then just putting river rocks in the bottem. We are on such a tight budget that I can't think of anything else. What did you do?
Yanking leaky roof vent in winter. can it be done?
Looking for flush mount low-voltage deck lighting
Garage Rooftop Deck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps