The run-off from our roof at the rear of our house falls on our patio concrete slab. Therefore, over the years (35 year old house) the slab has turned black. How can I remove the black (mold?) and restore the slab to it's original appearance?
The black discoloration is algae that has grown in the wet season and dries black. It is easiliy removed with a pressure washer. I recommend you consider purchasing an electric power washer at $130 or a more powerful gasoline powered washer at about $300. You can rent a commercial powerwasher for $65/day. The cleaning can be done is less than 1-hour with a pressure washer using no chemicals and requiring no scrubbing. It will deep-clean the concrete and restore the original texture and color.
Power washer is a very useful tool for cleaning around the house. Other than that you can try clorex bleach(for laundy) to remove the black algae stuff off the gutter pipes and roof over hung. I poured it in a paint tray and applied on the surface with a 3" brush. Then wipe off with a old damp cloth. Doing every 2' at a time.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps