The run-off from our roof at the rear of our house falls on our patio concrete slab. Therefore, over the years (35 year old house) the slab has turned black. How can I remove the black (mold?) and restore the slab to it's original appearance?
The black discoloration is algae that has grown in the wet season and dries black. It is easiliy removed with a pressure washer. I recommend you consider purchasing an electric power washer at $130 or a more powerful gasoline powered washer at about $300. You can rent a commercial powerwasher for $65/day. The cleaning can be done is less than 1-hour with a pressure washer using no chemicals and requiring no scrubbing. It will deep-clean the concrete and restore the original texture and color.
Power washer is a very useful tool for cleaning around the house. Other than that you can try clorex bleach(for laundy) to remove the black algae stuff off the gutter pipes and roof over hung. I poured it in a paint tray and applied on the surface with a 3" brush. Then wipe off with a old damp cloth. Doing every 2' at a time.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY