The run-off from our roof at the rear of our house falls on our patio concrete slab. Therefore, over the years (35 year old house) the slab has turned black. How can I remove the black (mold?) and restore the slab to it's original appearance?
The black discoloration is algae that has grown in the wet season and dries black. It is easiliy removed with a pressure washer. I recommend you consider purchasing an electric power washer at $130 or a more powerful gasoline powered washer at about $300. You can rent a commercial powerwasher for $65/day. The cleaning can be done is less than 1-hour with a pressure washer using no chemicals and requiring no scrubbing. It will deep-clean the concrete and restore the original texture and color.
Power washer is a very useful tool for cleaning around the house. Other than that you can try clorex bleach(for laundy) to remove the black algae stuff off the gutter pipes and roof over hung. I poured it in a paint tray and applied on the surface with a 3" brush. Then wipe off with a old damp cloth. Doing every 2' at a time.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs