I bought a book on pouring slabs but most of the info was geared towards patios. I want to make a 4 ft wide, 11 ft long flagstone/brick border walkway over cement and I wanted to clarify a few things.
1. The book recommends 5 inches of gravel under the slab. The heaviest thing this walkway will see is people+furniture (it leads to front door from sidewalk). Can I reduce this? Only reason I ask is to reduce depth I have to dig. Can I just place gravel and compact/spread it manually or do I have to have a power compactor? They did not go into detail on this in the book.
2. The book also recommends 3" thick slab. I have no problem with this but it is it necessary or can I put 2"?
3. Where do you normally want the final height of the flagstone to come out relative to the sod? About even with the top of cut lawn or at the top of sod base?
4. I want to use 1 1/2" thick brick to border the walkway. I'm assuming flagstone + cement for setting the flagstone will not be this thick. Do I have to put a second layer of cement down after the brick border is in to raise the bed so the flagstone ends up level with the brick? I saw in the book where they have a screed with a board attached to the screed to level the cement below the brick border.
5. I calculated just over a yard of concrete at 3" thick. Is this a DIY project? I have seen people buy concrete from the local yard with a little rented hopper/trailer.
6. Any idea if this is regulated by the city? I live in San Jose, CA.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY