I bought a book on pouring slabs but most of the info was geared towards patios. I want to make a 4 ft wide, 11 ft long flagstone/brick border walkway over cement and I wanted to clarify a few things.
1. The book recommends 5 inches of gravel under the slab. The heaviest thing this walkway will see is people+furniture (it leads to front door from sidewalk). Can I reduce this? Only reason I ask is to reduce depth I have to dig. Can I just place gravel and compact/spread it manually or do I have to have a power compactor? They did not go into detail on this in the book.
2. The book also recommends 3" thick slab. I have no problem with this but it is it necessary or can I put 2"?
3. Where do you normally want the final height of the flagstone to come out relative to the sod? About even with the top of cut lawn or at the top of sod base?
4. I want to use 1 1/2" thick brick to border the walkway. I'm assuming flagstone + cement for setting the flagstone will not be this thick. Do I have to put a second layer of cement down after the brick border is in to raise the bed so the flagstone ends up level with the brick? I saw in the book where they have a screed with a board attached to the screed to level the cement below the brick border.
5. I calculated just over a yard of concrete at 3" thick. Is this a DIY project? I have seen people buy concrete from the local yard with a little rented hopper/trailer.
6. Any idea if this is regulated by the city? I live in San Jose, CA.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps