I am building a wall partition in an unfinished basement that is running directly along and beside a floor joist above, not directly underneath. The bottom of the joist is 7'9" from the floor. Question: Can I just extend the partition up along the joist and nail into the frame from the side of the joist, or do I have to insert cross pieces between the joists and nail UP through the header into these? Might there be building code in regards to this? Nailing in from the side would sure save alot of cutting!
You'll need to put nailers from joist to joist then nail the top plate to those, so that you'll be able to finish off the fireblocking.
For a detail on the fireblocking required in a basement have a look on my forum at my site, there is drawing there you can look over.
What does the ceiling edge attach to when the wall ...
Connecting a partiton wall to an existing wall
partition wall to scissor truss
Acrylic block window
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?