Okay. I need some help....I have a backyard patio directly off of my slab foundation ranch...the patio has extensive cracks throughout.....i'd like to build a flat deck over the patio using it as the foundation with several posts where the grass begins. I'm not sure how to start and if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks.
You might try using a product call Dek-Block. I used them to build my floating pool deck. They are easy to use. If you use them, place them on your patio and grass as well. Do not just use them on the patio alone. Because if you use them in conjunction with post than part of the deck that are on the Dek-Block will rise 1/2 inch with ground heave and the part connected to the post will not. You also do not attach the deck to the house. The deck is supposed to float. You can see photos here at http://decks.hemmingsjones.com/photos.html there you can view photos of the construction of the floating deck, and how the blocks are used.
Okay...now i dont' want the deck to more than 1 foot above the patio. Do they sell dekbloks which are shorter than the ones you used.?
Dryer vent in the way of deck
How far I can cantilever a 2x12 girder from the post?
60 year old porch
Endura Board composite decking
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!