OK, I have had an old porch swing for about a year or so now just sitting on the floor of my front porch. I haven't put it up yet because I am unsure as to the best way to go about it. Here is the problem: First, the swing is your standard, wooden with chains on both sides and can seat 2, maybe 3 people. I want to hang it from the ceiling of the porch (obviously). I am assuming the the ceiling has studs and I would want to anchor in to them. BUT, here is the problem. The ceiling of the porch (and ultimately the studs) is covered with vinyl siding. I think it is called Soffit or something like that. So, I am wondering, do I remove some of it to find my studs? Is that easy to do? Or do I locate then by knocking/feeling or with a stud finder? THEN, should I go completely through the stud with my hook/anchor and bolt on the other side? I want maximum stability. There are three people living in my house. All guys, weighing between 180 lbs. and 200 lbs. Therefore, I want the swing to be able to hold up to, say, 400 lbs. or so at a time. I really appreciate your help with this. I want to get that thing up!!
P.S. I have found a picture on the internet of what the siding covering the ceiling looks like if you need to see it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!