The 20' x 20' deck (see photo) in my new home is in good shape (treated, not cedar). The semi-transparent brown-ish stain is coming up on the floor. The previous owners appear to have partially (didn't finish) stained or painted the railings and spindles an off-white color. I'm guessing I should pressure wash the deck floor, consider the railing and spindle paint or stain as "primer," and restain the entire thing a solid color to match my house. I would appreciate advice as to how to do this and stain recommendations. A deck company quoted me $100 to pressure wash and $400 to restain. Thanks.
Identifying and Treating Deck: Mahogany/Ipe?
Craftsman Proper Paint Color
Exterior Brick Re-Facing
What would be best to stain or paint over a dark stain?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight