First of all, I think that we all can agree that if we lived in a different society, the people who are marketing and selling TimberTech as "low maintenance" decking would be lined up against a wall and shot. And we'd all go to watch.
That said, here's the best cleaning regimen that I've found:
(1) Use Corte Cleaner (a powder, recommended by TimberTech; available at Lowe's for $25 per bag) according to the instructions to clean off surface dirt, mildew, etc.
(2) Then, for problem areas (on my deck, almost all of it), wet the deck with the cleaning solution, then sprinkle some of the powder around. But, instead of scrubbing it by hand on your knees (as the Corte Cleaner instructions seem to suggest), use an ELECTRIC FLOOR SCRUBBER/POLISHER. For me, saves hours of back-breaking work!
My wife donated an old Hoover to the cause; you can find them on eBay. Not perfect, but better than everything else that I've tried . . .
I should have mentioned that my decking is XLM River Rock. TimberTech got good reviews from Consumer Reports for mildew- and stain-resistance. Hah! Very disappointing. Even my contractor--a really good one--is surprised.
Anything you buy in America these days is more BS than fact...it's the only way the GREED MONGERS can maintain their billionaire life styles! They'll put anything on the package to sell it to you....."lifetime warranty", that's until you make it to the front door at the store your buying it at, after that, you own it!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees