I had a Trex Winchester Grey deck installed by a licensed contractor in September of 2005. Beginning last year I also started to experience cracking flaking over approximately 5% of the deck surface. I had my contractor look at it and he confirmed that the material was likely defective.
I didn't file a claim with Trex at the time. Their claim requirements were onerous. This year the damage has spread to about 10% of the deck and the older damaged areas are getting much worse.
I received the notice of the class action suit yesterday. I read it carefully and am troubled.
It basically says that they, at their sole discretion, will replace any boards currently damaged, will pay up to $225 for labor and that this settlement releases them from any further claims.
1)My damage has gone from 5% to 10% of the deck in a year and there are indications that it will be 20% next year. Given that my material was delivered in a sealed factory lot, I have every reason to believe that the balance of my decking (an extruded plastic product) will be bad eventually. If I opt into the settlement I appear to be releasing them from any future claims if, as is likely, the balance of the deck goes bad. This seems like a bad idea.
2)Internet research seems to suggest that Trex has a history of blaming improper instillation for their problems. This tactic is impossible for a layman to counter as Trex is the sole authority to judge improper instillation. This effectively dilutes blame.
3)$225 for labor? A sad joke.
At the moment I am leaning towards opting out of the settlement and going to small claims court. I spoke to my contractor today and he gave me a quote of $8500 total to replace the deck surface. Our small claims court limit is $7500 and I'd take a small loss rather than leave it to Trex.
Also I'm having a lot of difficulty finding the final opt out date.
I am not too concerned about losing in court. I am concerned that if I win in court that they will go bankrupt prior to my perfecting my claim.
Any comments or suggestions?
Trex Deck Surface Flaking
Shun Bodyweight Without Endeavours.
Oily Skin Treatment Regimen
Stop Worrying About Your Skin With Advice That Bring...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs