Is the Trex mold problem an issue in Southern California? Perhaps it is only in wetter, cooler areas of the country?
No problems yet after a year...it has faded slightly (tan to lighter tan), but no mold. It is very hot to walk on but what deck isn't when it's 90+ degrees? It was expensive so i hope it lasts!
Sorry gang...this is not just a local issue...I'm in SW Ohio. My Trex deck, which looked wonderful in 2011 is now quite spotted with the mold. We did a light powerwash back in April of this year and everything looked great again for about 6 weeks. The mold is back with a vengeance. The Trex folks are as unhelpful as ever with the common response to me that "mold happens". Nope, not accepting that answer, and yet, here I am with a moldy deck. Add me to the list of folks that say, "Had I only known, I would have never purchased Trex Decking". In my case, about $12K down the drain for an inferior product with almost no recourse to remedy the situation.
We have had our deck for about 6 years. The first year was ok but downhill after that. We went after the builder who spoke with the trex rep. I can't believe is product is still being sold. We have cleaned the deck I. The past with thompsons composite deck cleaner. But this year it seems very difficult to clean and the railing is disgusting. It is so labour intensive it spoils my back yard time as I can't stand looking at it. I think we will tear it up next year. Sooo disappointing. We live in southwestern ontario
It's been 2 years and we have had continuous black spots. I have cleaned it at least 3 times each season. $20,000 worth of decking and Ispend more time on it than I did on my wood deck. How can they c0ntinue to sell this.
Bought a home about a year ago owners never disclosed an issue with the Trex deck. Then received letter in mail from Trex that they had been notified and never filed a claim. I don't have the mold issue so much as the flaking and warping. Had a few boards really swell up and they had to be removed and shaved down. Surface is uneven.
I live In North Carolina, Did Trex deck less then a year ago already having black mold, already after one phone call tired of Trex service BS calling warranty # Monday I want a tech and I will demand compensation , I know I will not receive any so I will then File a class action suite against Trex and Lowes any one from NC who wants to join post here and we can exchange emails
We have had our trex for many years and it molds every year. We pressure wash it every year. You have to be very careful not to get to close or you will shred the decking. I like the product but would only use it if you have no shade.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps