hammering water line
i have a toilet that when it is flushed during the time the water refills the tank a loud vibration and hammering sound is heard in the water line. what can be done to stop this problem or what causes it in the first place? any suggestions. thanks in advance.
1. Water hammer-this happens when water is shut off or meets a smaller opening that the water pressure can handle and it slams into the valve end or the end of a plumbing run. Any plumbing store will sell you an air cushion to stop this.
2. Water meter- Listen to the water meter while the water is flowing to see if the noise is comming from it.
3. Kansaz- The pipes may just be vibrating against the framing and, as he said, they need to be firmly secured to the framing to stop this vibration.
If it opens and closes rapidly, usually due
to something loose inside, that starts and
stops the flow of water abruptly, leading
to the hammering noise. The dry riser
advocated by Kansaz is a good old fashioned
solution, but over time, the air dissolves
into the water, and the riser fills up.
When you get the hammering again, you need
to shut off the main, open a nearby hose bib,
drain the system, and then re-fill it to
trap some new air. Make your dry riser at
least a foot high, more if you have room.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!