hammering water line
i have a toilet that when it is flushed during the time the water refills the tank a loud vibration and hammering sound is heard in the water line. what can be done to stop this problem or what causes it in the first place? any suggestions. thanks in advance.
1. Water hammer-this happens when water is shut off or meets a smaller opening that the water pressure can handle and it slams into the valve end or the end of a plumbing run. Any plumbing store will sell you an air cushion to stop this.
2. Water meter- Listen to the water meter while the water is flowing to see if the noise is comming from it.
3. Kansaz- The pipes may just be vibrating against the framing and, as he said, they need to be firmly secured to the framing to stop this vibration.
If it opens and closes rapidly, usually due
to something loose inside, that starts and
stops the flow of water abruptly, leading
to the hammering noise. The dry riser
advocated by Kansaz is a good old fashioned
solution, but over time, the air dissolves
into the water, and the riser fills up.
When you get the hammering again, you need
to shut off the main, open a nearby hose bib,
drain the system, and then re-fill it to
trap some new air. Make your dry riser at
least a foot high, more if you have room.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!