hammering water line
i have a toilet that when it is flushed during the time the water refills the tank a loud vibration and hammering sound is heard in the water line. what can be done to stop this problem or what causes it in the first place? any suggestions. thanks in advance.
1. Water hammer-this happens when water is shut off or meets a smaller opening that the water pressure can handle and it slams into the valve end or the end of a plumbing run. Any plumbing store will sell you an air cushion to stop this.
2. Water meter- Listen to the water meter while the water is flowing to see if the noise is comming from it.
3. Kansaz- The pipes may just be vibrating against the framing and, as he said, they need to be firmly secured to the framing to stop this vibration.
If it opens and closes rapidly, usually due
to something loose inside, that starts and
stops the flow of water abruptly, leading
to the hammering noise. The dry riser
advocated by Kansaz is a good old fashioned
solution, but over time, the air dissolves
into the water, and the riser fills up.
When you get the hammering again, you need
to shut off the main, open a nearby hose bib,
drain the system, and then re-fill it to
trap some new air. Make your dry riser at
least a foot high, more if you have room.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes