hammering water line
i have a toilet that when it is flushed during the time the water refills the tank a loud vibration and hammering sound is heard in the water line. what can be done to stop this problem or what causes it in the first place? any suggestions. thanks in advance.
1. Water hammer-this happens when water is shut off or meets a smaller opening that the water pressure can handle and it slams into the valve end or the end of a plumbing run. Any plumbing store will sell you an air cushion to stop this.
2. Water meter- Listen to the water meter while the water is flowing to see if the noise is comming from it.
3. Kansaz- The pipes may just be vibrating against the framing and, as he said, they need to be firmly secured to the framing to stop this vibration.
If it opens and closes rapidly, usually due
to something loose inside, that starts and
stops the flow of water abruptly, leading
to the hammering noise. The dry riser
advocated by Kansaz is a good old fashioned
solution, but over time, the air dissolves
into the water, and the riser fills up.
When you get the hammering again, you need
to shut off the main, open a nearby hose bib,
drain the system, and then re-fill it to
trap some new air. Make your dry riser at
least a foot high, more if you have room.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight