There is a sewer odor coming from our bathroom sink drain. I don't smell it from any other drain in the house(we have 7 bathrooms + kitchen). What does this mean? Is it a problem with the septic system or the drain? We've had this house for about 6 months and it was vacant for a few years before we bought it. Any ideas?
Under your sink, make sure you have a "trap". This is a "S" turned on it's side. It alway's has water in it to prevent the odor from the main line comming back up to the sink.
Check your vent stack for the bath sink. I bet it is stopped-up. When it stops-up, the water flow from the sink actually siphons the water out of the "P" trap and leaves it open for the sewer gas to enter the room through the sink drain. If you are comfortable climbing, get a ladder and go the the vent pipe where it goes through the roof (should be in reasonable proximity to the sink). Take a garden hose, stick it down the vent a few feet and turn on the water. If the water backs up you will need to "snake it out". This should solve your prob. If you're lucky, the force of the water will unstop it for you.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes