My home is on a well and I have noticed a "runoff" going down my driveway even when there has been no rain during the day. I live on the side of a hill and I live in Oregon (where it rains alot). How can I determine if I possibly have a burried pipe leaking or just runoff from my hill?
Try to see if your well pump is running even though your not using any water. If it is you may have a split in a pipe. Another way would be to have your well man chlorinate your well and then test your runoff to see if the water contains chlorine.
Another possibility is to shut off your well pump for a day. Do this in dry weather on a day when you won't need water in the house for a day. Then 1) shut off the breaker to the well pump. 2) Release any pressure by turning on a faucet until all pressure is gone. If the "leak" continues at the same level after all day, it's not likely to be a leak in your system.
Slow leak at main water shut off valve
Main water shut-off valve leaks
Basement wall leaking where copper water supply pipe...
leaking from main water shut/off/on switch
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!