My home is on a well and I have noticed a "runoff" going down my driveway even when there has been no rain during the day. I live on the side of a hill and I live in Oregon (where it rains alot). How can I determine if I possibly have a burried pipe leaking or just runoff from my hill?
Try to see if your well pump is running even though your not using any water. If it is you may have a split in a pipe. Another way would be to have your well man chlorinate your well and then test your runoff to see if the water contains chlorine.
Another possibility is to shut off your well pump for a day. Do this in dry weather on a day when you won't need water in the house for a day. Then 1) shut off the breaker to the well pump. 2) Release any pressure by turning on a faucet until all pressure is gone. If the "leak" continues at the same level after all day, it's not likely to be a leak in your system.
Slow leak at main water shut off valve
Main water shut-off valve leaks
Basement wall leaking where copper water supply pipe...
leaking from main water shut/off/on switch
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes