Had a query about my shower stall. 30 Year old house and a shower probably that age. Tile surround from 6 ft. down to meet fiberglass(?) floor. Question, what type of a sealant or caulk goes where the tile meets the floor? There always seems to be water buildup even under present caulking (clear silicone for the first deep fill, covered with white tub, tile and adhesive caulk.) I don't think there's enough water to overflow lip of floor, but am not sure. Does that overflow drain under floor? Is my shower fixable short of new installation? Thanks.
It is difficult to understand exactly what your question is, but I do not think that tub and tile caulk should be used on a floor joint of a shower stall or other submersable-water situation. Waterproof silicone caulk is your best bet because it is waterproof.
Sorry if the question was hard to decipher. The tile does not meet at the FLOOR. Rather it ends at the upper horozontal ledge of the fiberglass shower floor pan (about 3"). The pan takes a right angle and goes under the tile where I assume it also takes another vertical turn. I keep getting mildew around the cualking and when I scrape it off to apply anew, there is water present behind the caulk. I then have to wick the minimal amount of water away before I can recaulk. The area is NOT below the water line, but does get wet from the shower. Should I abandon the DAP Kwik Seal for the GE Silicone? Thanks
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight