plumbing in 1910 farmhouse
Visit the local Historical Society or the local Preservation Association. If that's of no help, hire an ASHI-Approved Home Inspector. For $3-500, that's money well spent. Just be SURE you ask your Inspector what his 'background' is. In addition to his Trade Skills (no former Taxi Drivers, or the like, for your Inspector), find out w/references what homes he's inspected that are of that type, age, and year. (You don't want just ANYONE to do this for you especially when you're paying that kind of $$$.) Visit ASHI for How To Pick A Home Inspector. (It's the best guide I've come across.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Now, you're probably saying to yourself, "Geesh, I don't want to spend $3-500 for advice that will tell me the house isn't any good (so to speak.)" Well, to that I have to say, "If the info you get helps you make an INFORMED decision, then that's $$$ well spent!" That $3-500 is a LOT cheaper to pay now then to have to pay $5-10,000 later on to have all your bathrooms remodeled when you were 'informed' that all was well. In short, pay now or pay later.
No, I really don't have anything else to add. I would just emphasize that you find an ASHI-Approved Home Inspector that's EXPERIENCED w/the age and, preferably, type of home you're viewing. W/the types of concerns you have, that's $$$ well spent.
Contact the Historical Society or local Preservation Society for 'leads' of that type of Inspector. If you like what you CAN see, then I think you're ready for 'the next level', i.e., a Home Inspection to get someone to investigate the things you can't see or identify on your own.
Good luck! And I hope it works out for you.
Jay J -Moderator
wet spot on ceiling
Replace kitchen sink plumbing
can a pull-out shower handle be replaced with one th...
low pressure in some faucets
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda