plumbing in 1910 farmhouse
Visit the local Historical Society or the local Preservation Association. If that's of no help, hire an ASHI-Approved Home Inspector. For $3-500, that's money well spent. Just be SURE you ask your Inspector what his 'background' is. In addition to his Trade Skills (no former Taxi Drivers, or the like, for your Inspector), find out w/references what homes he's inspected that are of that type, age, and year. (You don't want just ANYONE to do this for you especially when you're paying that kind of $$$.) Visit ASHI for How To Pick A Home Inspector. (It's the best guide I've come across.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Now, you're probably saying to yourself, "Geesh, I don't want to spend $3-500 for advice that will tell me the house isn't any good (so to speak.)" Well, to that I have to say, "If the info you get helps you make an INFORMED decision, then that's $$$ well spent!" That $3-500 is a LOT cheaper to pay now then to have to pay $5-10,000 later on to have all your bathrooms remodeled when you were 'informed' that all was well. In short, pay now or pay later.
No, I really don't have anything else to add. I would just emphasize that you find an ASHI-Approved Home Inspector that's EXPERIENCED w/the age and, preferably, type of home you're viewing. W/the types of concerns you have, that's $$$ well spent.
Contact the Historical Society or local Preservation Society for 'leads' of that type of Inspector. If you like what you CAN see, then I think you're ready for 'the next level', i.e., a Home Inspection to get someone to investigate the things you can't see or identify on your own.
Good luck! And I hope it works out for you.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees