plumbing in 1910 farmhouse
Visit the local Historical Society or the local Preservation Association. If that's of no help, hire an ASHI-Approved Home Inspector. For $3-500, that's money well spent. Just be SURE you ask your Inspector what his 'background' is. In addition to his Trade Skills (no former Taxi Drivers, or the like, for your Inspector), find out w/references what homes he's inspected that are of that type, age, and year. (You don't want just ANYONE to do this for you especially when you're paying that kind of $$$.) Visit ASHI for How To Pick A Home Inspector. (It's the best guide I've come across.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Now, you're probably saying to yourself, "Geesh, I don't want to spend $3-500 for advice that will tell me the house isn't any good (so to speak.)" Well, to that I have to say, "If the info you get helps you make an INFORMED decision, then that's $$$ well spent!" That $3-500 is a LOT cheaper to pay now then to have to pay $5-10,000 later on to have all your bathrooms remodeled when you were 'informed' that all was well. In short, pay now or pay later.
No, I really don't have anything else to add. I would just emphasize that you find an ASHI-Approved Home Inspector that's EXPERIENCED w/the age and, preferably, type of home you're viewing. W/the types of concerns you have, that's $$$ well spent.
Contact the Historical Society or local Preservation Society for 'leads' of that type of Inspector. If you like what you CAN see, then I think you're ready for 'the next level', i.e., a Home Inspection to get someone to investigate the things you can't see or identify on your own.
Good luck! And I hope it works out for you.
Jay J -Moderator
can a pull-out shower handle be replaced with one th...
Replace kitchen sink plumbing
low pressure in some faucets
charred PVC pipes
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING