Flapper will not position-floats when tank is filling and will not close. Replaced with new and same result. Any suggestions?
Normally the flapper floats until the tank is empty. Then it "falls" shut. Either: 1) the tank is failing to empty completely for some reason or 2) the flapper falls but doesn't stay down when the water starts to fill on top of it. I believe the thing that makes it stay down is vacuum. If it was working OK and this is a new problem, then I'd say there's a problem elsewhere in your system. Anything changed lately in your house? If you've just made some changes to this commode, could it be that the water filling the tank is coming into the tank in such a way that it is lifting the flapper at one edge, breaking the seal? If that's the case, you might need to adjust how the water is entering the tank. Also, make sure that the flapper is sealing properly when the tank is empty.
That may very well solve your problem if you have high water pressure.The water rushing in holds the flapper open.This is also the reason you hear of a clogged toilet which continues to overflow.The water takes a direct path past the flapper,to the bowl,to the floor and will continue until shut-off.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?