venting into attic?
Oh my, no codes apply - at all??! That's terrible! For starters, I'd have her consider having the home Inspected by at least a New Home Inspector (yes, a New Home Inspector) that's ASHI-Approved. For a SMALL fee (which is a LOT cheaper then the Retainer Fee for a Lawyer, or her first repair/retro-fit), they'll visit the home at various stages of completion. Assuming the home is already built, he can do just a New Home Inspection. Don't just hire ANY ol' Inspector. These days, (nothing against Teachers), a Basketweaving Teacher can become a 'Home Inspector' via one of those Study-At-Home schools. (Good Grief!!!)
Heck, if she can't afford the fee (for probably $300, give or take), PAY IT FOR HER. Like I said, she'll pay a WHOLE heck of a lot more if she ends up needing a Lawyer or having something fixed.
Now, to answer your question, I don't know if it's OK. I would BELIEVE it's OK since it's just a breather. (If you told me the vent was from a Bathroom Fan, THAT'S a different story.) If no one replies here, just go visit ANY Municipal Inspector, and ask. (He may say it's not OK for code but he MAY say it's 'harmless'.) You can even visit your local Home Center Store and ask someone (preferably a couple of folks) in the Plumbing Aisle. And better yet, visit a local Plumbing Supply House (which are found in the YELLOW PAGES under PLUMBING - SUPPLIES.)
Stay tuned, and come back to let 'us' know what you find out. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: SOrry for the lecture (of sorts.) I'm just trying to look out for ya since no one (an Inspector) else is ...
To other posters: is this common? What's it like in your area?
There are codes in my county. However, my ENTIRE county is incorporated. I use to live in Ft. Collins, CO where the entire county wasn't incorporated. There, Ft. Collins is in Larimer County BUT the county is MUCH bigger than Ft. Collins. Hence, if you lived in Larimer County, but NOT in Ft. Collins, you were considered to be living in the county; not the city (of Ft. Collins, or whatever.) I guess it seems that just because you have a city/town 'associated' with your mailing address, you're not necessarily living 'in the city' (or 'in any city' for that matter.)
I guess the laws can be different based on how the jurisdiction is set up. I will say it was a LONG time ago that I lived there, so I don't know how they handle/handled building codes (in particular.) Today, it all may be a different story. BUT, I will say that back then, you could sell/buy fireworks in Larimer County as long as you WEREN'T inside the City Limits (of Ft. Collins) which is in Larimer County as well. (Watch those 'borders'.)
I'll be listening here ...
Jay J -Moderator
NO it is NOT alright!!! Sewer gas is Methane and is highly flammable. Did you ever look at your local sewer treatment plant? The pipe that goes high into the air and has a flame at the top? Take the builder or the "plumber" and have them drawn and quartered. This situation is not acceptable. Get your jurisdictional housing inspecter involved.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees