Old water treatment system causing mildew??
Their clothes and towels all mildew within 18 hours regardless of the heat and humidity and it leads me to wonder if it is either something in the washing machine , or coming from the water treament system.
Before going into speculative ideas about the plumbing, think simple, first. Mildew in clothes can occur if you leave them in the washing machine and do not dry them immediately, or if they are left wet for extended periods anywhere. Also, mildew sometimes/often does not wash out fully, so the clothes might have mildewed once and it never went away. The smell might just be covered up by laundry perfumes only to return a few days later when the perfumes wear out. Use hot water several times (with bleach if possible) to fully wash it out.
Also, the humidity of the storage closet is a more likely problem. The mildew smell might permeate the clothes due to mildew in the walls of the closet. Bleach the closets and use dehumidifiers to dry up the air. If you cannot afford the space/money for an electric dehumidifier, then there are products available for closets that chemically dry them out, using compounds similar to the little packets you see in new clothing/shoe boxes that absorb water.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!