Just a quick question or two to see what you think. My bathroom ceiling has begun to leak for the past few months, tearing down all the wallpaper and paint with it--and revealing a hole about 2 cm across. It leaks mostly when it rains and the water that comes out is a brownish color. Do you think this is a leaking pipe? My house was built in the early 1950's and I have no clue as to what kind of plumbing I have. So I guess that adds another question--where can I go to find this info out? Any suggestions you could give would be WONDERFUL!!! Thank you!
This sounds more like a roof leak to me.What is above the bathroom?Leaking pipes usually leak continually and tend to get worse.Roof leaks tend to pick-up dirt as the water travels to a point were you finally see it and it can end up appearing as dirty water.It would be helpful to know more about what is up above.
I vote for the roof as well. Is there an attic above the bathroom? You (or someone) should got there when it's leaking and see where the water is coming from. A leak can do a lot of damage over time. Don't wait around any longer to see what must be done.
Roof leak, especially because it happens only when it rains. It might not be directly above the bathroom, as well. Although unlikely, roof leaks can drain through the framework for a story or two before coming out in the interior. They also can drain down an attic joist and fall and pool several yards away from where the leak actually is. Not a huge problem, but one you should fix immediately.
Thank you for your quick and helpful replies!!! So when it rained this weekend, I looked around the outside of my house and found a rather large crack in the outline of a few bricks on the wall directly outside of the house. It makes sense now because the 2nd bathroom, which is directly above this one, has never had any kind of problems. Thank you again and I will be sure to get this looked at pronto.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight