Just a quick question or two to see what you think. My bathroom ceiling has begun to leak for the past few months, tearing down all the wallpaper and paint with it--and revealing a hole about 2 cm across. It leaks mostly when it rains and the water that comes out is a brownish color. Do you think this is a leaking pipe? My house was built in the early 1950's and I have no clue as to what kind of plumbing I have. So I guess that adds another question--where can I go to find this info out? Any suggestions you could give would be WONDERFUL!!! Thank you!
This sounds more like a roof leak to me.What is above the bathroom?Leaking pipes usually leak continually and tend to get worse.Roof leaks tend to pick-up dirt as the water travels to a point were you finally see it and it can end up appearing as dirty water.It would be helpful to know more about what is up above.
I vote for the roof as well. Is there an attic above the bathroom? You (or someone) should got there when it's leaking and see where the water is coming from. A leak can do a lot of damage over time. Don't wait around any longer to see what must be done.
Roof leak, especially because it happens only when it rains. It might not be directly above the bathroom, as well. Although unlikely, roof leaks can drain through the framework for a story or two before coming out in the interior. They also can drain down an attic joist and fall and pool several yards away from where the leak actually is. Not a huge problem, but one you should fix immediately.
Thank you for your quick and helpful replies!!! So when it rained this weekend, I looked around the outside of my house and found a rather large crack in the outline of a few bricks on the wall directly outside of the house. It makes sense now because the 2nd bathroom, which is directly above this one, has never had any kind of problems. Thank you again and I will be sure to get this looked at pronto.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates