Just a quick question or two to see what you think. My bathroom ceiling has begun to leak for the past few months, tearing down all the wallpaper and paint with it--and revealing a hole about 2 cm across. It leaks mostly when it rains and the water that comes out is a brownish color. Do you think this is a leaking pipe? My house was built in the early 1950's and I have no clue as to what kind of plumbing I have. So I guess that adds another question--where can I go to find this info out? Any suggestions you could give would be WONDERFUL!!! Thank you!
This sounds more like a roof leak to me.What is above the bathroom?Leaking pipes usually leak continually and tend to get worse.Roof leaks tend to pick-up dirt as the water travels to a point were you finally see it and it can end up appearing as dirty water.It would be helpful to know more about what is up above.
I vote for the roof as well. Is there an attic above the bathroom? You (or someone) should got there when it's leaking and see where the water is coming from. A leak can do a lot of damage over time. Don't wait around any longer to see what must be done.
Roof leak, especially because it happens only when it rains. It might not be directly above the bathroom, as well. Although unlikely, roof leaks can drain through the framework for a story or two before coming out in the interior. They also can drain down an attic joist and fall and pool several yards away from where the leak actually is. Not a huge problem, but one you should fix immediately.
Thank you for your quick and helpful replies!!! So when it rained this weekend, I looked around the outside of my house and found a rather large crack in the outline of a few bricks on the wall directly outside of the house. It makes sense now because the 2nd bathroom, which is directly above this one, has never had any kind of problems. Thank you again and I will be sure to get this looked at pronto.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps