Cheaper to strip/paint moulding or replace ... plaster walls
Get the stripper out. Either way to do it right you should remove the boards. At that point you can price the new wood versus your time to strip the old.
[This message has been edited by whit.millwork (edited December 10, 2003).]
So I need to know what you want to do is paint,stain,or what;also what is on it right now?
This will help you in your budget and save lots of time.
Thanks for any advice.
Whit.millwork is steering you right on using a nailer. Use a finish nailer with 15/16 gauge nails. They're flat cut on the tips so it's less likely to split the wood.
Here's a suggestion on removing old trim. Use a wide board under your prybar to spread the load out over multiple studs. If you can get the mopboards etc out far enough, consider using a pair of sidecutters and clip the existing nails. You won't have to pull the board as far and you can remove the pieces once the board is off the wall.
Be prepared though, you could have a lot of plaster fall regardless of what you do. If the keys are gone that hold the plaster to the lath, it's iffy at best.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees