Cheaper to strip/paint moulding or replace ... plaster walls
Get the stripper out. Either way to do it right you should remove the boards. At that point you can price the new wood versus your time to strip the old.
[This message has been edited by whit.millwork (edited December 10, 2003).]
So I need to know what you want to do is paint,stain,or what;also what is on it right now?
This will help you in your budget and save lots of time.
Thanks for any advice.
Whit.millwork is steering you right on using a nailer. Use a finish nailer with 15/16 gauge nails. They're flat cut on the tips so it's less likely to split the wood.
Here's a suggestion on removing old trim. Use a wide board under your prybar to spread the load out over multiple studs. If you can get the mopboards etc out far enough, consider using a pair of sidecutters and clip the existing nails. You won't have to pull the board as far and you can remove the pieces once the board is off the wall.
Be prepared though, you could have a lot of plaster fall regardless of what you do. If the keys are gone that hold the plaster to the lath, it's iffy at best.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY