Cheaper to strip/paint moulding or replace ... plaster walls
Get the stripper out. Either way to do it right you should remove the boards. At that point you can price the new wood versus your time to strip the old.
[This message has been edited by whit.millwork (edited December 10, 2003).]
So I need to know what you want to do is paint,stain,or what;also what is on it right now?
This will help you in your budget and save lots of time.
Thanks for any advice.
Whit.millwork is steering you right on using a nailer. Use a finish nailer with 15/16 gauge nails. They're flat cut on the tips so it's less likely to split the wood.
Here's a suggestion on removing old trim. Use a wide board under your prybar to spread the load out over multiple studs. If you can get the mopboards etc out far enough, consider using a pair of sidecutters and clip the existing nails. You won't have to pull the board as far and you can remove the pieces once the board is off the wall.
Be prepared though, you could have a lot of plaster fall regardless of what you do. If the keys are gone that hold the plaster to the lath, it's iffy at best.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps